On a beautiful fall day here in Central Maryland, you walked around your home and noticed the unthinkable: cracks on its foundation.
Now, you have to make a decision. Do you let it go for now and do it next spring knowing that it may get worse and cost more to repair? Or, do you take it on now and get those cracks repaired?
Of course, we would advise that you not put this off. Foundation cracks can get worse over time and cause repairs to be even more costly.
So, whether you get your home foundation repairs done now or later, we have some tips when hiring a home foundation repair contractor:
- Always verify their MHIC (Maryland Home Improvement Commission) Number: It is a crime to act as a home improvement contractor in Maryland without an MHIC License. *** Be sure that your home foundation repair contractor has this license. An unlicensed home improvement contractor may also have an invalid or no MHIC number posted on the side of their vehicle. Be sure to check with the MHIC to see if their MHIC license number is valid and is issued to that contractor.
- Ask for a Certificate of Insurance: A COI show that they have liability insurance and can work on your home. If they don’t have liability insurance then you become liable for their work. All the risk is assumed by the client. Some homeowner’s policies will not cover that risk exposure. Have them show you their liability insurance policy and verify that it covers all of their employees working on your home.
- Request 2-3 referrals: Any licensed contractor with experience should have a portfolio and a list of happy clients that have had similar work done. Ask them to give you two or three referrals. Call them and ask about their experience, quality of work, etc. Also, seek referrals from online websites such as BBB, Yelp, and Home Advisor. If they cannot supply any referrals, look elsewhere!
- Verify if the contractor’s crew is theirs or a labor pool service: Your contractor should have their own work crew not a rag-tag group of labor. They should be professionals who have worked on other houses for the contractor.
- Only put 1/3 down for the project: Don’t pay for half of all of the projects upfront! Instead, pay 1/3 which should cover the building materials to start the work.
- Get Three (3) Bids: The lowest bid may not be the best one. A reputable contractor may cost more, however, the work pace will likely flow better and the results may be what you expected or better.
- COVID Protections: Though most of the foundation work will be done outside, make sure that the contractor is abiding by all local, state, and federal COVID-19 protections. They should wear masks and keep a social distance. Plus, they should be wearing foot covers when entering your home. (Regulations may vary depending on location.)
Your home foundation repair is a major project, so get the licensed, qualified, and most experienced contractor in your area. It will be worth the time and effort.
Should you notice any home foundation issues, call a professional, licensed home foundation repair contractor. M Taylor Enterprise is an experienced and licensed home repair foundation contractor. We can inspect, analyze, and repair your home foundation correctly and efficiently. We serve the counties of Prince George and Silver Spring, MD area. Call us for a consultation at (301) 649-3406 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** For more about the MHIC, click here.