As winter approaches, you may have noticed that there are cracks in and around your home foundation. They may be hairline cracks or large cracks. Regardless, they will increase in size and cause problems with your home as we have covered in previous blogs.
However, your home foundation cracks may be at the point of no return. Now, maybe the time to contact a home foundation repair company to have those cracks repaired. Your home foundation repair contractor may recommend using carbon fiber straps to improve the foundation.
How do these cracks occur? Home basement foundations are exposed to many hazards underground. Water can be the most significant hazard. Living in a low water table region, the soil gets saturated with water. That water pools around the foundation walls. The water pressure eventually pushes against the foundation. Soil also can be an issue as it expands. It absorbs a lot of water. The water pressure pushes against your basement walls and causes them to bow. Water must be kept from soaking into the dirt near the home foundation.
Carbon Fiber Strips are four times stronger than steel and typically outperform most forms of foundation repair tools. They are smart home foundation repair solutions for the following reasons:
- Carbon fiber strap: Being four times stronger than steel, carbon fiber straps are lighter, more efficient, and less expensive. The epoxy rivet technology makes sure the strap will adhere to the wall and stay attached for many years.
- Top anchor: The top of the carbon fiber strap connects to the rim joist. This is where the foundation wall meets the first or main floor. It’s post-tensioned for maximum strength.
- Bottom anchor: The bottom of the carbon fiber strap is anchored into the foundation floor, so the wall won’t slide inward.
- Carbon fiber dowels/pins may also be installed inside basement corners to “pin” the wall together. They may also be used against the flat face of a wall to keep the structure together as additional support. These are not as commonly used as other carbon fiber home foundation repair tools.
- Carbon fiber straps are fastened to compromised basement walls and corners. If the crack is in the corner of the basement, it’s possible that both walls can move inward or even collapse. Most home foundation repair contractors install straps horizontally around the corner, four feet in either direction so the wall is structurally secure.
Installation of these carbon fiber straps can be completed efficiently, often in only a few hours. So, you would not have to vacate your home, nor would your daily lifestyle be inconvenienced. If you are considering solutions to your home foundation cracks, and soon before the snow and ice hits Western Maryland.
If you need carbon fiber foundation repair or basement waterproofing, M Taylor Enterprise home foundation repair contractors can consult in Prince George, Montgomery County, and Howard County, MD. If you have seen any of these cracks in your home foundation, call our home foundation and structural repair experts in Maryland at (301) 649-3406 or email@example.com.
We will do a free consultation, make recommendations then do any needed repairs done quickly and efficiently.