You just recently inspected your home foundation repair. It is desperately in need of repair. You look up local home foundation repair contractors in your area. Now, you have found a list of possible contractors you can hire. Now, what do you do?
There are several essential criteria you should look for in a home foundation repair contractor. So, before you hire one, consider these points:
- Understand the basics of home foundation repair: This will assure you that you locate a quality contractor. If you don’t understand the basics of your home’s foundation and potential issues, you may fall for the charlatans (and I know them well) and you won’t be able to accurately assess whether the contractor can solve your home foundation issues. Research how a strong foundation works and how they are repaired. Find out why foundations crumble and learn whether it is water damage, age, or terrain. Find out why your home foundation is cracking or settling. Once you find out this important information, you can find a credible contractor to do the work.
- Find out if they have the proper licenses. Make sure that your home foundation contractor has the correct licenses to do the repairs. An unlicensed home foundation contractor can cause even more damage! Their mistakes and negligence could cost you much more money and add stress. In Maryland, the home foundation contractor must have an MHIC. The Maryland Home Improvement Commission licenses and regulates home improvement contractors. According to the commission, “Home improvement work includes alteration, remodeling, repair or replacement of a building or part of a building used as a residence.” *** Never hire a home foundation contractor who doesn’t have an MHIC license that is current and in good standing.
- Liability and Workman’s Comp Insurance. Confirm that your home foundation contractor has general liability insurance to cover any injuries that may occur to the workers and you. If they do not have liability coverage, then you could be responsible for damages. (Although, this is not a given as most homeowners policies will not cover contractors working on a home.) Your home foundation contractor should also carry a workman’s compensation. It is required in Maryland. Before you hire them, have them show you all the insurance documents. They should have them readily available in their portfolio.
- Establish a budget. Even if they are reliable home foundation contractors, they may not be affordable. So, set up a budget and let the contractor know that this is the money you can spend. Understand the average cost of a foundation repair to get started. It may cost on average $6,000, but prices vary in the DMV area. If you understand the damage to your home foundation, you can set up a reasonable budget. You can also find lenders for that amount.
- Get references. Your prospective home foundation contractor should have pages of references. There should also be references on their social media channels. If they have no references, stay away.
- Schedule an inspection with the home foundation repair contractor that you have chosen. The home foundation contractor should analyze the issue, recommend an action, quote the cost of the repair, and give you a timeline.
Finding a home foundation repair contractor, especially if this is the first time you’ve had to do it, can be intimidating. If you follow the above steps, you should be able to find the best and most qualified contractor who will do the job correctly.
M Taylor Enterprise can inspect your home foundation to see if you have any issues. Call our home foundation repair and structural repair experts in Maryland at (301) 649-3406 or email@example.com. We will do a free consultation, make recommendations then do any needed repairs quickly and efficiently.
We serve Montgomery County, MD, parts of Prince George’s, MD, and Howard County, MD.
*** For more information on the MHIC, visit the State of Maryland Department of Labor website.