If your home foundation goes, you are in a world of hurt.
As we’ve discussed in previous blogs, the good health of your home foundation is crucial to your family’s health and to the maintenance of your largest financial investment. If it deteriorates, everything begins to fall apart.
However, just like anything in life, your home foundation is also subject to mythology or urban myths. You may ask yourself: Does it need to be lifted? Does the foundation repair cost even more than the value of the home? Will it destroy my yard?
We will address those home foundation repair myths and more, as we want you to have all the information before you seek out a contractor.
- “My yard will be decimated!” Wrong. Most home foundation repairs are done inside and do not require a lot of exterior excavation. In fact, the helical piers that we install need very little exterior excavation.
- “These foundation repairs will hurt the ability to sell my home.” Almost any home improvement will increase its value. Also, you are required to reveal and provide documentation on all home structure improvements. So your home foundation repair has to be disclosed. However, that should be positive, as prospective buyers will see that the foundation is repaired and improved. It will not impede your ability to sell your home.
- “Home foundation repairs cost too much!” That is, unfortunately, the first thing people think of when they discover a crack in their foundation. Surprisingly, to many homeowners, foundation repairs are not that costly. Due to new technology and updated repair methods, the costs of repairing your foundation may be pretty reasonable. Of course, costs vary due to the location and extent of the repairs. However, you won’t break the bank getting it done.
- “Just fill the cracks. That should do it.” Filling the cracks in your foundation with epoxy may be helpful in the short term. However, this will not alleviate other issues that may be wrong with your foundation.
- “I’ll accept the cheapest bid.” You are familiar with the old saying, “You get what you pay for.” That is definitely applicable to home foundation repair contractors! In the DMV area, you can find some credible, honest contractors. However, you can also find many untrustworthy, dishonest contractors. Additionally, while they may be able to do the job for a “reasonable price”, they leave you with shoddy or incomplete work. It’s not hard to do the research to see homeowners who were ripped off by despicable, slipshod contractors. So, don’t go with the lowest bid. Find out if they have a license. Get references. Does your foundation engineer recommend them? Can you reach them in the future if there are issues? You should get all of these along with a warranty. Also, visit the www.myfoundationrepairs.com website for more information concerning home foundation repair in the area.
- “Don’t buy that house. It has a foundation problem!” Home buyers tend to think, incorrectly, that if the home they want to purchase has foundation issues, it’s not good to buy it. Any home that is just a few years old needs some type of repairs. Of course, home foundations are not immune to that. Have the home inspector give you the details and then bring in a structural engineer to make recommendations.
Home foundations need maintenance and repairs like anything else. Some repairs are minor, and some are much more complicated. Do your homework, and hire a licensed, reputable home foundation repair contractor to make all the necessary repairs. Leave the mythology behind!
M Taylor Enterprise, Inc., Montgomery County, Maryland, has experienced and licensed home foundation repair contractors on staff. We can analyze your home foundation issue and efficiently repair it. Call us for a consultation at (301) 649-3406 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.