They are great for massive storage, laundry rooms, man caves, rec rooms, kids’ bedrooms and even to house the in-laws. The extra room they provide is invaluable.
However, basements can also be a huge financial and physical drain. When it rains as often and as heavy as it does in the DMV-Washington, D.C. Beltway area, basements can flood causing property damage and even bodily injury while incurring large insurance claims and deductible payments.
In other words, basement flooding is a real issue for your largest property investment: Your home. Basement flooding, however, is not something to be automatically accepted. It can be prevented. You just have to know how to examine your foundation before it occurs and then make some structural repairs and changes.
To prevent basement flooding and property damage, look for these signs of trouble:
- poor grading around the house foundation and window wells
- clogged and/or broken downspouts
- cracks in the foundation walls
- a high water table during rains
- missing or blocked foundation drains
- hydro static pressure which is forcing water into the basement
- missing or damaged parging outside
- overgrown shrubs and landscaping preventing water to runoff
- basement steps/walls/area drains creating rain water entry points.
- settlement of back fill causing voids under slabs
If you see any or all of the above issues concerning your basement, your house will be flooded in the near future. It is a guarantee. This insidious type of structure deterioration can lead to flooding and serious damage to a home.
As you can see, basement flooding is a serious issue in more ways than just your home. Your family health is also at risk.
The good news is: M Taylor Enterprise, Silver Spring, Maryland, can re-grade around the outside of homes, install interior drainage systems and do full foundation excavations. We alleviate the chances of having basement flooding thus preserving your home and, possibly, your health. Call us at (301) 649-3406 or email us at email@example.com.