Summer is here and it is going to be a scorcher in Central Maryland this year. ***
And, of course, as a home foundation repair contractor, I’m thinking about your crawl space. The summer can bring damp conditions which means mold growth. This could be harmful to both your home and your health.
So, before the summer gets hotter, you may want to get your crawl space inspected as there are three things to consider.
- Dirt and moisture cause wood rot which is a hotbed for mold growth and threatens the health and safety of your family. High humidity also causes porous concrete to absorb moisture from the air.
- Moisture also damages the insulation in the crawl space and will stop the crawl space from being warm, particularly if it’s fiberglass. Fiberglass soaks up moisture as the insulation material soaks water and becomes weighed down. Soon, it will sag and fall off.
- Warm air rises and enters the crawl space during the summer months. Once the air moves, a vacuum begins, and air moves to replace it. About half of this air gets into your home. So, if your crawl space air is musty and has mold spores, dust mites, or pollutants, your indoor environment will be adversely affected. Many people experience allergies, coughing, asthma, and itchy eyes.
- Moisture damages the insulation in the crawl space. It may not be warm then. The fiberglass becomes heavy as it is soaked with water. It sags and eventually falls off.
- When the crawl space is damp, the wood becomes wet, it rots, bends, and breaks. Thus, the entire support structure fails.
- The Central Maryland summer humidity also causes moisture levels to rise. The crawl space becomes a hotbed for condensation as warm and hot air collides with the cool air. Water droplets form on the crawl space floor and walls. Thus, the humidity levels increase to scorching hot levels.
In spite of all the problems your crawl space could have, there are some basic solutions you and your crawl space repair contractor can do to mitigate it. They can install sealing vents and/or insulating it may keep your home living conditions comfortable. You can also keep your south-facing windows closed. Additionally, close your curtains and/or blinds. A dehumidifier cleans and filters the air, too.
If you are having issues with your home comfort, you may need crawl space repair. Contact M. Taylor Enterprise for an inspection. We will analyze it and make recommendations. Our experienced crawl space repair team can make the necessary repairs. Call (301) 649-3406 or at email@example.com for a free consultation.
We serve the Montgomery County, Maryland area.
*** You can find out more about summer weather at the State of Maryland website.