http://boscrowan.co.uk/category/uncategorized/page/11/ The life and durability of the sidewalks around your home vary. If they are quality materials, they may not crack or deteriorate for a very long time. However, if the materials are not quality or if the weather has extremes, then your sidewalks may have hairline cracks or breakage.
Concrete is also not perfect. It breaks, cracks, and deteriorates like anything else. So, because of that, sidewalks will have to be repaired. When the extreme Maryland weather, winter ice to summer humidity, the materials in the concrete contract and expand, causing the concrete to deteriorate. ***
These extreme weather events on concrete crack, break, and sink. Rain, dew, and moisture also seep into the sidewalk cracks, expanding them. Eventually, the concrete looks worn out and unsightly.
So, what other factors besides weather can cause sidewalk cracking?
- One factor that many people don’t know is that concrete has weight limitations. It can withstand limited weight, but over time it will begin to deteriorate due to these factors:
- People walking on concrete sidewalks.
- Heavy equipment that is rolled across the sidewalks may cause it to crack or break.
- Poor installation damages the concrete before the expected time. Kerch
- Air pockets. Empty spaces in the soil below the concrete slab may cause cracking. This usually occurs when the concrete slab sits on uneven ground and has not solidly compacted, creating air pockets. After a while, soil settles into these pockets. Soil is not strong enough to hold it, causing the slab to sink and crack.
- Substances like HCL, Sulphur and salt trigger the deterioration, creating deep cracks in the concrete slab.
It’s not difficult to find out if your sidewalks are falling apart. You can just look at them. Their appearance will tell you if it needs to be repaired or replaced. If you see that your sidewalk is damaged or cracked, contact a licensed and experienced concrete repair contractor.
When it gets even worse, and it will, it may cause injuries. So, now it is a liability risk. Don’t delay in getting this repaired.
If you are seeing cracks in your sidewalks, contact M. Taylor Enterprise for an inspection. We will analyze it and make recommendations. Our experienced concrete repair team will make the necessary repairs. We specialize in all types of concrete and masonry. When we do masonry repairs to an existing structure, we go out of our way to match the mortar color. Contact us at (301) 649-3406 for a consultation.
We serve the Montgomery County, Maryland area.
*** For more information about concrete, visit the Popular Mechanics website.